This recipe is excellent for multiple reasons; it’s easy, it’s cheap, and it’s delicious. Plus, it’s packed full of one of my favorite vegetables—kale! Hope you enjoy this completely Vegan (Lenten) treat!
Vegetable Kale Stew
Cook time 25 minutes
· 1 Tbsp Sunflower oil (or your preference)
· 4 carrots-sliced
· 2 stalks celery-sliced
· 2 onions, sliced
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 4 tsp. Better Than Bouillon-Vegetable Bouillon (this is the brand I prefer)
· 2 15oz cans Great Northern or Cannellini Beans-drained
· 2 15oz cans Italian Diced Tomatoes
· 5 ½ cups Water
· Large handful Kale-chopped
· Broccoli Sprouts for garnish-or some other sprouts
· Salt & Pepper to taste
1. In large cooking pot sauté Oil, Carrots, Celery, Onions and Garlic for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add Bouillon and cook for another 1 minute.
3. Add Beans, Tomatoes and Water to vegetables and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add Kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Add Salt and Pepper to taste and garnish with sprouts of your choice.
I served this with fresh corn-on-the-cob, strawberries and melon. One of the strawberries was so ginormous that we nicknamed it Frankenberrie.
I saved so much time cooking this that I was able to enjoy some much-needed family-fun time. We used it wisely by jogging around the block with my son’s electric mustang (great workout to do WITH your kiddos!). We were able to eat outside and watch the sunset and after sunset we jumped in the freshly cleaned hot tub. This is also the same hot tub we have had at our house (since 2009) and never learned how to use until last week! Now that's just dumb!