Friday, July 6, 2012

Muesli a recipe from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson


This is a review of the Muesli from Heidi Swanson's cookbook Super Natural Every Day.  I will not be sharing the exact recipes on here (see what this blog is about) but I am sharing a link to something similar.  I would like to note that Heidi Swanson's recipe is better in my opinion.... 

Sorry it took me so long to get around to this – I wasn’t able to get around to these recipes sooner because I had company and then my air conditioner went out!  With temperatures reaching the triple digits, my family and I sought refuge at restaurants and other friend’s houses.  Last night was no exception — we went to Cool Greens, a delicious healthy restaurant we have here in Oklahoma and then we packed up our electronics and headed to McDonalds for drinks (and play for the kiddos).  Unfortunately, I was feeling guilty about not making any of the recipes yet so when we got home, around 10pm, I decided to whip up Heidi’s Muesli recipe.

The recipe was very simple to make.  It called for one ingredient, Marcona Almonds, which I looked around for and couldn’t find.  Everything at my local shops was labeled simply, Almonds, so I may have unwittingly used them… 

I really loved this recipe and it is definitely something I would make again.  Plus, Heidi has you make more of the dry ingredients than you need, so you can have some on hand for a simple quick and healthy fix that is ready to go (although, it needs to sit for at least an hour).  I let mine set over night and it was just lovely when I ate it for breakfast this morning.  The almonds were a nice touch as they added a little bit of a crunchy texture.  It kind of reminds me of a refrigerator oatmeal recipe I used from The Yummy Life .  However, I like Heidi’s recipe better because it doesn’t call for Greek yogurt.  Even though the Greek Yogurt has more protein (which can make you feel full longer) it also has a stronger taste.  I suppose you could use Greek yogurt with Heidi’s recipe, because she has you dilute it with water, so it may still taste good.    

9.5 = Taste (5 from me and 4.5 from my husband [boo])
5 = Ingredient Availability
5 = Prep-Time (I will work out the exact prep-time later – I had to actually crack almonds from shells because that was what I had on hand)
5 = Cost (I will work out the cost per serving later, but I know it was low)   
0 = Family Bonus (as of yet, my kids haven’t eaten it – will keep trying)

24.5 out of 25 – Excellent!

Would you make this recipe again? YES
Would you recommend to friends? YES

Some notes about the benefits of some (not all) of the ingredients.  Almonds are full of vitamins and minerals (16 at my count) but exceptionally high in Magnesium, Manganese, Riboflavin, and Vitamin E).  Almonds are also a good source of protein and have been shown to improve cardiovascular health, lower cholesterol, improve complexion and may even help prevent cancer! Rolled Oats are high in Thiamine and Phosphorus and are a great source of fiber.  They have also shown benefits to the cardiovascular system by helping reduce cholesterol.  Oats may also have some benefits for people with diabetes and help your immune system fight off bacterial infections (hooray oats)!  Wheat Germ is another healthy ingredient.  Do not confuse this ingredient with an infectious disease —this little guy packs a powerful punch in the essential nutrients category, not to mention the Essential Fatty Acids and fiber!  Make sure you refrigerate after opening.  Last but certainly not least, Yogurt.  Make sure you get a good quality yogurt (none of this “may contain live active cultures” stuff).  It’s the cultures that are important – important for a happy gut.  It’s important that we are (um, how to put this delicately… hell, I’m just going to say it) evacuating our bowels (a.k.a. pooping) regularly, almost as much as we are eating (at least 1-2x/day is considered healthy).  People that are consistently constipated are at a higher risk of developing colon cancer. 

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment