Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Open-Faced Egg Sandwich: A recipe from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson


The other day I decided to make my second recipe from Heidi Swanson’s cookbook Super Natural Every Day.   I’ve been doing the first recipe from each category and today I did the first Lunch recipe, which was Open-Faced Egg Sandwich (please read what this blog is about - I'm not here to share recipes from cookbooks, I only review them, and occasionaly share some of my own recipes).  It was very easy to make and didn’t take a lot of time.  My husband thought it was a little bland but he isn’t a big egg salad person.  I really liked it and would make it again.

I tried to get my son to eat some and he hid under the table and refused to come out (Kids=1, Parents=0).  I hope Heidi wouldn’t be offended because he does the same with Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter) and Jelly sandwiches… 

My own egg salad recipe is quite simple.  However, I don’t have the ingredients exactly measured out.  I like to do equal parts of mayo and mustard, chop up a little bit of sweet onion very fine and chop a little celery.  I use this recipe for both for deviled eggs and for egg salad.  On deviled eggs I sprinkle with paprika. 

7 = Taste (4 from me and 3 from my husband)
5 = Ingredient Availability
5 = Prep-Time (about 15 minutes)
5 = Cost (I will work out the cost per serving later, but I know it was low)  

22 out of 25 – Great!

0 = Family Bonus (as of yet, my kids haven’t eaten it – will keep trying)

Would you make this recipe again? YES
Would you recommend to friends? YES

A little note about the benefits of some of the ingredients:  Eggs are one of the most under represented and misrepresented powerhouse foods you can find.  Don’t take my word for it; check out this article on Discovery Health.  Eggs provide such a diverse make up of nutrients that they are almost in a category all their own.  In addition to containing all the Essential Amino Acids humans need, they are also high in Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 and Choline (all at almost 50% of your daily recommended value – just from ONE egg).  Free range eggs usually have a higher nutrient and Omega 3 content but other hen eggs are still healthy.  Eggs have been found to be beneficial for your eyes, weight management, brain function, muscle strength and for pregnancy.  Yogurt and Whole Grain Bread are also both well know for their benefits in digestion health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment